About Coach Caprio

My photo
Mike and Mary purchased their future retirement home on a whim following the snowbound New Jersey winter of 2010/2011. An episode of House Hunters International convinced them that St. Thomas would be an ideal location to live out their golden years. However, they still have a few years to go before they can pack it in and head to the beautiful island paradise that they plan to call home. In the mean time, they are renting their home and hoping that other people will enjoy this cozy island condo as much as they do.

Friday, May 7, 2010

Violating My Space

The other day, I walked into my house with a feeling that something just wasn't right. My first clue was that the front door was unlocked. The housekeeper had come that morning, and she has always been good about locking the front door, bit occasionally she has left a back door open. This was different. I had a bad vibe.

I walked into the foyer and peeked into the first room. The space that housed a flat panel tv was empty. Damn - that tv was recently purchased with the first paycheck from the promotion I had received at my job. Ahhh..the thought hit me...ARE THEY STILL IN MY HOUSE????? So I backed out thru the front door, hopped into the car, locked the doors and called 911. I was freaked out...couldn't catch my breath...terrified that I had walked into something that was going to get me hurt or worse. And I waited.

It took moments that seemed like hours before the police arrived. They cleared the house-which was empty of intruders-and we went back in to inventory. My iPods and docking stations - gone. One was a brand new touch and I still hadn't figured out how to use it. My docking stations with speakers - gone. I love to have my home filled with music. The iPods and speakers made that so easy. Lady Gaga on day, Andrea Boccelli the next....whatever suited my mood. GONE.

Then, the BIG tv in the living room - GONE. They were nice enough to leave the blu-ray home theater system behind, but stole the remote control. Go figure. And they were very neat.

They took money, of course, but left the jewelry behind. Some of those pieces are not replaceable, so I am glad to still have them with me.

Oh, and they cut the cable/internet/phone wires. And stole one of my cordless house phones. That was weird to me. How did they know that my phone service was thru the cable, and not from the telephone wire that is attached to my house but is not in service? And why steal one phone. Oh, perhaps it was to cover up the numbers that were called by the housekeeper that morning. Those numbers would have shown up on the memory in the phone. Guess what????They showed up on the call log that I can access from the computer, so I know who she called and when.

The stuff is gone - it can all be replaced. The alarm system is being installed tomorrow. It is creepy, knowing that strangers have invaded your space, violated your privacy, and disrespected your home. It is worse when you believe that it was done by someone that you trusted, someone whom you allowed into your home, someone who earned a living from you.

I have no proof. I only have my gut feeling, and the gut never lies. It may not always be 100% accurate, but I have a good track record.

No matter how much security I buy, I will never feel that same sense of freedom that I enjoyed in my little peice of heaven...and I am PISSED.

No comments: